According to the Network of Employers for Traffic Safety, both on-and off-the-job motor vehicle crashes cost employers $20 billion dollars annually. The fact is traffic accident related workers’ compensation claims are about 30% more costly than non-auto accident workers’ compensation claims.
The National Council on Compensation Insurance Inc (NCCI) noted that traffic accidents are the leading cause of accidental deaths in the United States. Here are other facts about work related auto accidents:
- 90% of auto accidents result in time lost from work.
- Auto claims are more likely to involve an attorney.
- Auto claims last up to 60% longer non-auto claims.
Workers’ Compensation Prevention Tips
- Educate employees on the risks of distracted driving.
- Be sure your employees never drive under the influence of alcohol.
- Prohibit the use of any kind of mobile devise while driving.
- Require your employees to use seat belts.
- Offer defensive driving training.